“A microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulator or MENS (also micro-amperage electrical neuromuscular stimulator) is a device used to send weak electrical signals into the body. Such devices apply extremely small (less than 1 microampere).” (wiki)
Electric Stimulation is Used for the following:
- Diabetic Neuropathy
- Macular Degeneration
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Muscle Atrophy
- Chronic Pain
- Reduction of Scar Tissue
How Does Electric Stimulation Work?
- Stimulation of the motor nerves produce a muscle contraction (to build strength)
- Pumping action of the muscles improves circulation (promotes healing)
- Stimulation of sensory afferents produce an analgesic response (decreasing pain threshold).
Who Should Not Use or Have Electrical Stimulation Applied
- People with cardiac pacemakers
- People with metal implants
- Same as with other modalities: poor circulation, hemorrhagic conditions, inflammation, infection, cancer, poor cognition, or used over the anterior neck.
How Noblesville Massage Therapy Utilizes Electric Stimulation
- MPS is used to manage trigger points. It is pain less, quick, and most often beneficial.