Cupping has been around for thousands of years and was used as a form of alternative medicine.
The cups are usually made of plastic, silicone, or glass.
There are two types of cupping methods wet and dry.
In massage therapy we use the dry method.
Cupping works by creating a vacuum or suction pulling the skin upwards thus mobilizing the tissue and increasing blood flow to the area.
There is little research to prove the effects and benefits of this modality; however, after receiving a cupping treatment many people report a decrease in their pain, improved mobility and elasticity in their muscles, and overall relaxation response.
This treatment should not be used on you if you have the following:
- Thin skin
- Bruise easily
- Are diabetic
- On blood thinners, or steroids
- Have any infection or open wounds
How Noblesville Massage Therapy Utilizes Cupping
- Post massage cupping is used to help maximize circulation
- Improve elasticity and pliability of the soft tissue
- Ease tightness and lengthens muscles
- Decreases muscle spasms
- Decreases discomfort