Osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease causes the cartilage, or the slippery tissue covering the end of the bones to breakdown and wear away. This process is due to inflammation, which eventually leads to symptoms of pain, and limited mobility or stiffness.
Causes and Symptoms of Arthritis
- Your family genes
- Metabolic abnormalities
- Compromised immune system
- Symptoms of pain, swelling, redness, and inflammation along with limitations in joint range of motion can occur in degenerative and systemic types of arthritis. Organ damage, deformity, and weight loss generally, occur in the systemic or Rheumatoid type of arthritis which is determined through a blood test ordered by your physician.
Treatment for Arthritis
- Exercises tailored to improve your joint movement, and strength
- Teach you proper body mechanics and joint protection
- Correct your posture to help eliminate pain and protect the joints.
- Adaptive Aides to help you maximize function (such as use of grippers, reachers, long handle bath sponges, lotion applicators and more).
- Soft Tissue mobilization to help you maintain flexibility, improve circulation and decrease pain.
Goals Of The Massage Therapist
- Restore Mobility
- Prevent further limitations in use of the extremities
- Maintain optimal fitness level
- Improve activities of daily living, work, and leisure
If you’re suffering from arthritis pain contact us at Noblesville Massage 317 294-0892 for a treatment plan targeted specifically to your type of arthritis and symptoms. Why suffer from arthritis pain? Takeaction today!